Thursday, April 14, 2011

Menchie's (Davie - University Drive)

4/10/11 - Menchie's Frozen Yogurt


     After a long evening of typing notes for class in between watching my friends play a rousing game of Carcassone, we decided to check out the Menchie's which had just opened up down the street from the dorms.




     Now, my group of friends usually frequents the Menchie's out on Pines Boulevard. However, that's a good 15-20 minute drive from campus! Honestly I've been to a few of these self-serve yogurt places before and I still don't understand the appeal. Perhaps as one of my colleagues stated," Maybe you just haven't developed your yogurt taste yet." And honestly it's a sentiment I might have to agree with, frozen yogurt has never really tickled my fancy.




     After trying an assortment of the available flavors, I ended up filling a portion of my cup with mango tango sorbet and the raspberry pomegranate sorbet. I really wasn't wow-ed by any of the current frozen yogurt flavors, they were either over-powering in flavor or underwhelming. The sorbets however were made quite well!  


     There's a plethora of toppings to choose from, ranging from fresh fruit, candies, granola, marshmallow fluff,  etc.  Basically if you can think of it, it's probably there.  However, since it's a self-serve yogurt place, you need to be mindful of how much you're adding in your cup because you pay by how much your cup weighs.  I went for some strawberries, kiwi, and mochi.  <3 for Mochi!




     Both sorbets were light and fruity and the fruit toppings were fresh.  The raspberry pomegranate had just the right balance of tart and sweet and the mango tango sorbet flavor was just spot on. The mango tango sorbet was probably my favorite of the two flavors, since it was sweet, but not cloyingly sweet. I always take issue when things are just inundated with sugar, but the many tango sorbet was the epitome of awesome, wonderfully balanced.  


     One of the nifty things that we noticed is that this Menchie's has a cute study room-esque area which is separated from the main dining area by a glass partition. The "chalkboard" really doesn't seem very functional as wiping off the chalk from the chalk board paint just seems to smudge everywhere. X_X However, it's still a completely cute idea. The owners said they wanted to put up a flat screen so students could hook up their laptops to it to show power points and perhaps make the wifi-accessible to the public, which is always cool.




     Though I'm not a huge fan of frozen yogurt I'm sure it's going to be a great spot for students to stop by late at night when they want something sweet.   After all it's open until 11pm or midnight, depending on what day you go.  Later on if there's public wifi and that side room actually does end up being sort of a "quiet zone" I can totally see it being a great place to study (sometimes you just get stir crazy sitting in the library or your dorm room).  


     I'm sure one day I'll find a frozen yogurt flavor at Menchie's that I enjoy, since they do have a rotation of over 100 flavors. Sadly there's no set time frame on the rotation of flavors, it sounded like it was based on demand. For now though, I'll stick to the sorbets. ^__^


Menchie's 
4900 S. University Drive, Suite #103
Davie, FL 33328
(954) 680-6499

Menchie's Frozen Yogurt on Urbanspoon

Update 5/8/11 - I finally found a frozen yogurt flavor that I enjoyed immensely!  <3 for praline!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails